Subject: Re: LW 3.5 -> DCTV
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 94 13:13:29 PDT

>Has anyone written a script that will take LW 3.5 standalone renders and
>convert them to DCTV format and then display them?  (does that make sense?)
>
	Various ways to do this:

	1) Make a BUTTON in SID or DIR-Opus that invokes batch-wise the
		IFF->DCTV utility that comes with DCTV.  Then use DPaint
		to assemble these DCTV frames into an ANIM-5.

	2) Use FRED in ADPro to do the same thing.

	3) Write your own AREXX utility with various bells and whistles.  For
		instance, in my version:

		a)  Sized the image to 1/4re screen to ensure full-speed
			playback.  Sizing was "smart": it checked the original
			image size rather than scaling blindly.  (Actually 
			trivial with ADPro.)

		b)  Since I often did partial renders of animation trouble-
			spots, I often committed "fencepost" errors when
			trying to figure out which frame was giving me grief.
			Using AREXX and ADPro's TEXT operator I was able to
			add the absolute frame number to the preview, OUTSIDE
			of the actual image area (which doesn't affect pb
			speed cuz it don't change much)

				AND

			which allowed me to add a title and client name to
			the preview, which always seemed to make them
			happy.

		The roll-your-own approach, while more time consuming, is a 
		good investment.

>What I would like to do is use DCTV to view test renders as though you
>hit F9 to do a quickrender.

	I assume you mean ANIMATED test renders.  Otherwise, why not just
	connect a monitor to the Toaster?

>| Paul C. Griswold            (305)279-5435      35mm Film Production      |

***********************************************************************
*   (OOOOO)  [email-masked]  |  Synergy Graphix & Animation     *
*  (OOOOOOO)  Welcome to Seattle!  |   Film and Video Productions     *
*    \\\\\\    Have a latte'!      |Technical Subjects Our Specialty! *
*     \\\\\\                       |         (206) 283-3540           *
***********************************************************************